posted on February 02, 2011 16:49
Swallowed objects can be dangrous to pets, often requiring x-rays, testing, and surgery. Avoid hazardous situations by maintaining a tidy living space and pet-proofing your home.
Get on yours hands and knees to thoroughly evaluate each room from a pet's-eye view. Remember, if a toddler can get into it, so can a pet. Be on the lookout for:
- Cabinets and drawers that are easy to open
- Garbage cans and laundry hampers without lids
- Decorative items that can be knocked over
- Loose cords and wires
If your pet refuses to eat or is continually vomiting, dry heaving and/or coughing, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Pet's eat the Darndest Things:
- large toothpick from gyro sandwich
- entire plastic spoon
- wedding ring
- walnut from a black walnut tree
- handtowels, socks, pantyhose, shreds of throw rugs
- pieces of rubber or plush dog toys
- dimes, pennies
- entire 1 gallon plastic milk jug
These are some of the items we have had to surgically remove from patients. Last year, VPI Pet Insurance received nearly $4 million in claims for ingested foreign bodies. Are you prepared to cover the cost of an ingestion emergency? Consider Pet Insurance and Care Credit as well as pet-proofing your home. For more information on pet insurance and payment plans please see our links page.
*Some information provided by VPI Pet Insurance